Monday 4 November 2019

I Thought I Had Life Figured Out, But… | Greetings From Abroad II


When I was a child I was very timid, boring, lacked social skills, and full of anxiety and fear. The only thing that uplifted me was my academic abilities. Life in this modern age begins with schooling. Before I could differentiate between my left and right footwear, I was in preparatory school. I was told to follow rules. Subtly, I was introduced to what’s morally good and bad. I was told to follow instructions, even though most of the time I didn’t know the reason behind those orders. Life was quite simple then. Wake up, get prepared, walk a few meters to school, engage in class activities, come back home, finish your homework, have meals in between, and sleep.


Fast forward to post-senior high school, a period I regard as the most impactful transition moment in my life. It was a slow light bulb moment. It was as though I had been sleeping all my previous years on earth. I was brought to the forefront of reality. The contributions to this awareness were my habits of reading the Bible profusely, and listening to thought-provoking albums, among others. I was effected, and it was evident in my speech, thoughts and the activities I chose to involve myself in. I shook away the characteristics that marked me as a child. I was now optimistic, confident, courageous, bold and full of self-belief.

Then I gained admission into university. I did a miserable job of balancing my social life with academics in such a highly academic environment. Hence I ran into my shell, and outwardly, people would see me as hostile and socially unintelligent. In my sophomore year, I was chosen by my class rep. among a few others to organize a party to bring balance to our class fellowship. With the massive help of a brother from another mother, the party was successful. During the process of organization, I was forced to talk to almost everyone in the class. It restored my confidence. Since then, I never looked back on my self-esteem throughout my remaining years on the ever fertile grounds of Legon.

People kept equating the phrases “life after school” and “reality” during my final year, so much that my ear found it cliché. The interesting part is, they weren’t lying. When I started offering my national service, reality punched me hard in the face. I then came to the realization that I’d have to work for the rest of my active years of life if I ever wanted to accomplish a task, buy something or even become a complete Christian. My problem was, work didn’t make my checklist for a happy life.

I found happiness in blogging and writing, so I’d put in my all to make sure it works. The more I tried, the harder it became. Those hardships were expected though, because the content I fed on during those moments explained to me exactly the phase I was going through, and it was just a matter of perseverance and patience for me to get to where I envisaged. I ended 2018 with some remarkable achievements. Within the deepest pit of my heart, I knew I’d achieve more in the following year, considering the fact that I was down with ailment for about a quarter of 2018. At that point, I thought I had figured life out, and it wouldn’t ever get bad for me. I was ready for life.



Fortunately - as many would put it, I migrated to United Kingdom. People call her the land of opportunities, a dream destination, and so on that I cannot fathom. However, I didn’t let all those titles get into my head. I had been disappointed with expectations enough to fall for such sayings. I was just on the lookout for what life had to offer me in the Queen’s land. I didn’t even agree to compete in this bout, but life gave me an injurious uppercut. I’d revisit my notes on how I had it all figured out and get confused, because I didn’t see any positive thing happening. My life hacks had become useless, and I’m just an immigrant with little to no connections, information and know-how.

There are moments where I’d ink my plans on paper, and I could hear mild untraceable laughter and sense mockery. I’ve been told by a few trusted people that “we’re living to work’, a phrase I’m bent on never accepting, but the reality is, that’s what everyone around me is doing. My alter ego tells me “What makes you think you can be different? It’s not like people didn’t have dreams. They just had a reality check. Don’t waste your time deceiving yourself.” I was caught up in going to work and putting up fake smiles, and doing my best to feed significant people in my life with the idea that I’m doing what’s right. But, I hated every bit of it. Throughout this year I’ve been living in my head, more than on the physical earth. I can’t recount enough times when I’ve lived completely in the moment. I’d consult my plan for life and shake my head in grief. I’d seek answers from close ones, the internet, books and even the Holy Book, but I wouldn’t find a satisfying answer to what the meaning of life is.

As the book of Ecclesiastes rightly put it, “So I set out to learn everything from wisdom to madness and folly. But I learned firsthand that pursuing all this is like chasing the wind. The greater my wisdom, the greater my grief. To increase knowledge only increases sorrow.” On a phone conversation with a friend, he gave me one of the hardest pills to swallow. He told me to look around. The other living things of nature – plants and animals, just exist. They carry out what ensures them survival, just live and die. They don’t fight so hard to reach goals or attain purpose. Even if some have purpose, they don’t strive for it. Maybe, that’s how human beings are meant to live, but along the lines of civilization, we decided to create ambitions, purpose and whatnots. I accept it’s a surface view of life, but you can’t entirely dismiss this opinion.

I thought I had figured life out, little did I know I was naïve and uninformed. Thence, I think everyone comes to life with a glut of blank sheets. What you believe in is a result of what you’re fed with – by your parents, teachers, religious speakers, friends, etc. It may be true or false, it may be factual or non-factual. In the end, you choose to write those passages on your life’s sheets. People believe in God, others don’t, but we can agree that such different people all go through the same phases - birth, existence and death. What happens in the process of living is up to them. What you define as success may be failure in someone’s books. As humans, we tend to believe in certain theories to fill a void in our curiosity. Christians believe in the creation story, evolutionists believe in big bang theory. What you choose to believe may or may not work for you, but in the end, we’re all not really different. Life doesn’t have a manual. That’s why we all have problems. Motivational speakers cry themselves to bed. Your idols are probably having sleepless nights. No matter how great you think you’re doing, life remains a mystery to all of us. The more you live, the more you unravel, and you die without getting to the tail bottom.

We will not all view life from the same angle. That’s impossible!; I choose to believe in Jesus as God, and as He came to earth to accomplish His purpose by dying for our sins, so I believe that each person has a life’s task he or she is supposed to fulfill. The years we have are an opportunity for us to figure out the best ways to be our best selves and achieve.
You may have divergent perspectives about life, and those are your views. The definition of life is not a one-size-fits-all situation. You are what you eat. You are what you feed your mind with. You are what you believe in.

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. LOL.. Please let your thoughts out. We'd all want to hear it.

      Delete
  2. Aqweci....... I think I can live with this for the rest of my life.
    Every bit of the this piece is worth reading over and over.

    I really love it.

    Good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow.. Your words are huge and mean a lot.
      This is why I do it.
      Thanks a lot.

      Delete
  3. Bless your heart dear. Truth... We all have different perspectives on what life is. But between life and death is a great opportunity to make the most of it. We exist but just like the plants who make food and oxygen during photosynthesis and hence have a purpose for their being, they are actually living and not just existing. And as humans, let's not forget to live while we exist. I think it's a learning phase for us; between life and death... to the ine who lies behind it. Let's make every moment count.
    Thank you Steeze hun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plants photosynthesizing is not purpose, that's just a process they go through to ensure survival.
      That's like saying humans breathing or undergoing respiration is our purpose.

      As I said, it's your opinion to say we need to make the best out of life.
      I recently met a man who has a varying opinion, and is in a way happy.
      What would you tell such a person?

      I get it that life is a learning phase, but the learner's deductions and conclusions are always wrong.
      Isn't that unfulfilling and exhausting?

      Delete
  4. Yo bro, i guess we're constantly figuring it out... it never ends.. I read the first time, and then took my time to read through again.... We never got the textbook to life.. Our parents didn't get a textbook to raise us, they figured it out as they went along, nobody gave us the textbook to young adulthood, I guess we have to figure it out as we go along.. And when people ger married they work it out as they go along.. Hopefully we'll all get there as we work towards it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But isn't it interesting that this is the 21st century, and we still don't have a guide to adulthood?
      Well, I speak a lot with my mom concerning how growing up was like in their time. From our conversations, I realize that their generation has done marvelously well in raising us up to this point.
      For instance, they didn't have proper education (in my extended family, people who have been to university are not up to 5), but they made sure we had that.
      Look at the tuition fees we had to pay in uni. My mom sorted it out with her all, although she didn't have much.
      So they did their best, but caring for an offspring and giving them quality education in this age alone is difficult enough for them to neglect or not pay attention to certain aspects of life such as adulting.

      Delete
  5. Life is purpose. Life is about ‘what we need to do’ not ‘what we want to do’. It takes purpose to understand these two. Jesus taught us a good example of Life ‘Purpose’. He came down on earth to fulfill one thing ‘Purpose’. He ‘did what He needed to do’ and not ‘what He wanted to do’. Though He asked for the cup of suffering to pass from Him ‘what He wanted to do’, He died on the cross for our sins ‘what He needed to do’. Living life ‘Purpose’ goes beyond our personal happiness, personal dreams and personal fulfillment. Man can never find true meaning of life until He discovers his ‘Purpose’. Then all the details we go through in life afterwards will make great sense to us. We are rather busily doing what ‘we want to do’ and making decision on our own, swaying ourselves into more difficulties and problems.

    Let’s reflect on this- If Jesus had done what He wanted ‘let the cup of suffering pass from Him’ and made His own decisions and decided to pursue His personal happiness, dreams and fulfillment, sure He’d have made it in life - happy, rich and fulfilled. But He’d have surely missed His purpose ‘what He needed to do’ ‘die for our sins’ and ‘we’d still be living in bondage of sin’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!
      I can see that your opinion/comment is greatly influenced by your position as a Christian.
      I believe you're a Christian because you were born to a Christian family, and/or you've experienced the love of Jesus yourself.
      If you're a Christian just as I am, you'd definitely think God has a purpose for us all, and we're supposed to achieve it, because we can deduce that from His Word.

      Looking at the bigger picture, there are lots of people who never got to find out "what they need to do" as you put it. They actually did what they wanted to, and became massively successful.
      In other words, they created their own purpose because they didn't believe in Jesus and His Word, but they still made success.
      What would you say about such people?

      You also make a point where you say we're rather busily doing what we want and that's what sways us into more difficulties and problems.
      Is that to say if you live a life to fulfill your purpose you don't face problems?
      From the Bible, almost everyone (maybe apart from Seth) with a Godly purpose faced a lot of problems.

      Delete
  6. Your article is essentially on the meaning of life. It's a very serious topic and very few men are brave enough to tackle it as you have done. Well done! These are my thoughts on it:
    Those moments in life when we feel that we've got it all figured out, will come and go. If you will watch carefully, you will see that there will come another time in your life when you will again feel that you've got life figured out, and once more you will be deluded. Life is full of changing scenes. Nothing is ever static, not even our thoughts.

    I agree with you when you say that "One's definition of success may be failure in another's eyes." Ultimately, each individual is living his own life and must live it in a way that he best sees fit. Therefore you're free to choose your path in life. It is therefore my opinion that if you don't like doing something, don't do it even if most people consider it to be the right thing. And if you like doing something, do it even if most people consider it to be the wrong thing. Essentially, you should follow your heart because it knows what you truly want to become. Sadhguru, an Indian spiritual teacher, when asked by a student, "How do I know the right thing to do in my life?" gave this answer, "There is no right thing to do in your life. There is no wrong thing to do in your life. If you know how not to make misery out of everything that you do, whatever you're doing is the right thing. If you're making misery out of everything that you do, everything that you do is the wrong thing." But inasmuch as we want to follow our hearts and live our passion, we must not lose sight of the role money plays in it. I think if you're to take an honest look at life, you'll agree with the wealthy Arkad in The Richest Man In Babylon, when he said that, "In my youth I looked about me and saw all the good things that were to bring happiness and contentment. And I realized that wealth increased the potency of all these...And, when I realized all this, I declared to myself that I would claim my share of the good things of life. I would not be one of those who stand afar off, enviously watching others enjoy. I would not be content to clothe myself in the cheapest raiment that looked respectable. I would not be satisfied with the lot of a poor man. On the contrary, I would make myself a guest at this banquet of good things...Therefore did I decide to find out how one might accumulate wealth, and when I had found out, to make this my task and do it well. For, is it not wise that we should enjoy while we dwell in the brightness of the sunshine, for sorrows enough shall descend upon us when we depart for the darkness of the world of the spirit?"

    Work is the path that will aid you to wealth, if that is what you desire. And if we're being honest, we all desire wealth. So I'll implore you to not be so bent on refuting that phrase, "We're living to work." There is some truth in it. When you're bent on never accepting something, it's more or less like closing your mind. Keep an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting.
    My first thing that popped up in my mind when reading your comment was, "how old are you?" LOL.

    I want you to get this right, Wilson. I'm not against accumulating wealth.
    My issue with it is, making it your primary focus; that makes everything else matter less.
    With how the world has been set up in this age, if money is your prime focus, you're bound to forfeit a lot of more essential things, e.g. Love for humanity.
    As human as we are, we're tempted to become greedy, if we realize we can accumulate endless amounts.
    Remember that greediness is at someone's expense. Hence you tend not to consider the well-being of others.

    About me not having an open mind about "we're living to work", it's false.
    I even admitted that the people around me are actually living to work.
    But just as you said, each individual is living his own life in a way he sees best fit.
    For me we're rather working to live, and not the other way round.
    I'm working because I need to be able to afford things for survival and progression.
    I'm working because I have to eat, be in a shelter, etc. and these days everything is for sale.
    My purpose of living is definitely not to work.
    Their statement is not factual, it's a view, and I can choose not to believe it bro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Point understood. And I’ll add that, work must make your checklist for a happy life if you want to become wealthy.

      Delete
  8. This is very insightful. life indeed becomes challenging as you grow.its a difficult process and I believe one way or the other everyone would accomplish something meaningful through hardwork,determination and perseverance. These tools motivates you to keep on going💪. Nice piece.Keep it up brother

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I agree with your submission.
    Thank you for the vim.

    ReplyDelete